Kidnapped Mozambican businessman released

MAPUTO, Mozambique (AP) — A wealthy Mozambican businessman, who was kidnapped last month, has been released, authorities said on Saturday.
Pakistan slammed for resuming executions after school massacre

Pakistani children arrive at their school in Peshawar after three days of mourning for the children and staff killed by Taliban militants in an attack on an army-run school, on December 20, 2014Rights groups Saturday condemned Pakistan's decision to hang two convicted militants in its first executions for six years, as leaders vowed decisive action in the wake of a Taliban school massacre that left 149 people dead. Pakistan described the bloody rampage in the northwestern city of Peshawar on Tuesday as its own "mini 9/11", saying it was a game changer in its fight against terror. Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif relinquished the six-year ban on the death penalty in terror-related cases two days after the school attack, with two militants convicted of separate terrorism offences the first to face the noose. The Human Rights Watch termed the executions "a craven politicized reaction to the Peshawar killings", demanding that no further hangings be carried out.



WHO: Recorded Ebola deaths top 7,000

CONAKRY, Guinea (AP) — The World Health Organization says the worst Ebola outbreak on record has now killed more than 7,000 people, with many of the latest deaths reported in Sierra Leone.
US drone strike in Pakistan kills 5 militants

Pakistani police officers carry the casket of their fellow officer killed in the gunbattle with militants, during the funeral procession in Peshawar, Pakistan, Saturday, Dec. 20, 2014. A security official and a police officer were killed during a shootout with militants in Peshawar, police officer Ijaz Ahmed said. He said two militants were killed. (AP Photo/Mohammad Sajjad)ISLAMABAD (AP) — A U.S. drone fired two missiles at militant hideout in northwestern Pakistan on Saturday, killing at least five Taliban fighters, two security officials said.



N. Korea proposes joint probe over Sony hacking

An exterior view of the Sony Pictures Plaza building is seen in Culver City, Calif., Friday, Dec. 19, 2014. President Barack Obama declared Friday that Sony "made a mistake" in shelving the satirical film, "The Interview," about a plot to assassinate North Korea's leader. He pledged the U.S. would respond "in a place and manner and time that we choose" to the hacking attack on Sony that led to the withdrawal. The FBI blamed the hack on the communist government. (AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes)SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — North Korea on Saturday proposed a joint investigation with the U.S. into the hacking attack against Sony Pictures Entertainment, warning of "serious" consequences if Washington rejects a probe that it believes would prove Pyongyang had nothing to do with the cyberattack.





Close Window